Policy 7 - NASA Needs for Support for Other Missions
Under special circumstances, JWST observations of a particular target may be required to support another NASA program. All such requests must originate in the appropriate program office and require the approval of the AA/SMD after consultation with the STScI. Approved observations shall be given special priority by the STScI but will be scheduled to minimize the impact on other observing programs.
If such observations of a particular target have already been included within an approved observing program, the observations will be developed in coordination with both the observers and with the appropriate NASA program team. The data will be made available simultaneously for use by NASA and by the approved observers. Publication rights will be limited to the approved JWST observers. JWST time spent on such observations will count against the time awarded to the investigator and will carry the approved exclusive access period.
If the requested observations have not been included in any approved observing program, the observational data may be used initially only for the NASA program. After this exclusive use period, which should be as short as possible, the data will be placed in STScI archives for later distribution in accordance with policies governing non-restricted JWST archive data.
Edward J. Weiler, Associate Administrator, Science Mission Directorate, NASA Headquarters. 1/5/2010
Paul Hertz, Chief Scientist, Science Mission Directorate, NASA Headquarters. 12/30/2009
Jon A. Morse, Director, Astrophysics Division, Science Mission Directorate, NASA Headquarters. 12/7/2009
Eric P. Smith, JWST Program Scientist, Science Mission Directorate, NASA Headquarters. 11/30/2009
In accordance with Contract NAS5-03127, Statement of Work, Section A.4, A.5, the following guidelines are policies promulgated by the NASA Associate Administrator (AA) for the Science Mission Directorate (SMD) with regard to the implementation of the JWST science mission. Any reference to JWST Program or Project refers to the NASA JWST Program or Project unless explicitly noted otherwise.
NASA-SMD Policies and Guidelines for the Operations of JWST at STScI
- • Policy 1 - Limitations on the Use of Funds for the Research of General Observers and Archival Research
- • Policy 2 - Data Rights and Data Dissemination
- • Policy 3 - Data Requests and Facilities
- • Policy 4 - Post-Launch Commissioning of JWST
- • Policy 5 - Clarification of Extensions of Exclusive Access Data to Public Affairs Activities
- • Policy 6 - Distribution of JWST Science Data Obtained from Investigations Other Than Those Selected Through the Peer-review Process
- • Policy 7 - NASA Needs for Support for Other Missions
- • Policy 8 - Definition of Observing Time
- • Policy 9 - Allocation of Guaranteed Observing Time to Scientists Selected Under AO 01-OSS-05 and Through NASA-ESA-CSA Agreements
- • Policy 10 - Redistribution of Guaranteed Observing Time Among Observers
- • Policy 11 - Protection of Science Programs Associated With Guaranteed Time
- • Policy 12 - Education and Public Outreach