JWST ETC Sharing Workbooks
Sharing workbooks within the JWST Exposure Time Calculator (ETC) allows for effective collaboration between multiple users.
Once a user has created a workbook with a set of calculations for a proposal, it is possible to easily share the workbook(s) with collaborators. Multiple users with "write" access can modify the same workbook simultaneously. Below is a page layout to help guide and familiarize users with the process of sharing workbooks.
You can only share a workbook with users who have already logged in to the ETC with their user account at least once. To obtain an account, users must register with MyST accounts.
(1) In the Available Workbooks pane, highlight the saved workbook to share.
If there are no workbooks in the Available Workbooks pane, a sample workbook can be obtained from the Sample Workbooks dropdown, an Example Science Program workbook can be obtained from the Example Science Program Workbooks dropdown, or the Create New Workbook button can be used to create a new, blank workbook.
If a workbook was shared, and then there is a new ETC release, the workbook will need to be copied and shared again.
(2) In the User Access Permissions pane, enter the email of the collaborator you wish to share the workbook with then click the Add User by Email button. Sharing is verified once the user name is populated in the pane. Now your collaborator will be able to see the shared workbook under their Available Workbooks when they login. When sharing with multiple users, the names will appear in alphabetical order by first name.
Sharing workbooks while logged in as an anonymous user is not allowed.
In the Permissions pane, each individual with whom users share a workbook can be given the permissions to read, write, and grant or revoke access. Multiple users can have different permissions for a given workbook. When a workbook is shared, initially the new user only has "read" access by default. The permission for write access can be granted by the collaborators who have the "grant" access. The numbered list below describes the allowed permissions for workbooks.
- Read : allows to view the workbook and not re-run the calculation or change any parameters.
- Write: allows to re-run the calculation and alter the saved parameters.
- Grant: allows to share the workbook with others and grant them read and write permissions.
- Revoke: allows to revoke access to the workbook by other users.
To stop sharing a workbook with a given user, uncheck all permissions for that user.
Go to the online JWST Exposure Time Calculator Tool
Pontoppidan, K. M., Pickering, T. E., Laidler, V. G. et al., 2016, Proc. SPIE 9910, Observatory Operations: Strategies, Processes, and Systems VI, 991016
Pandeia: a multi-mission exposure time calculator for JWST and WFIRST