JWST ETC Calculations Page Overview
The JWST Exposure Time Calculator initializes a calculation once the user chooses an instrument and mode. Multiple calculations can be compared, copied, and modified in the ETC workbook.
Video Tutorial: ETC General Overview
Words in bold italics are also buttons
or parameters in GUI tools. Bold
style represents GUI menus/
panels & data software packages.
List of articles
- JWST ETC Creating a New Calculation: Instructions for setting up, editing, and running calculations in the ETC.
- JWST ETC Backgrounds: Description of the available background options including example positions, dated backgrounds, and percentile options.
- JWST ETC Wavelength of Interest: Explanation of the Wavelength of Interest/Wavelength of Slice option and how to make best use of it in ETC calculations.
- JWST ETC Batch Expansions: Details on the various batch expansion options that can be used for quick exploration of SNR for different filters and detector parameters.
- JWST ETC Strategies: Landing page with links to individual articles on all of the available extraction strategies in the ETC.
- JWST ETC Target Acquisition: Landing page with links to individual articles detailing target acquisition (TA) calculations with all 4 science instruments.
- JWST ETC Cosmic Ray Implementation: Description of how the ETC models the effects of cosmic ray strikes on calculation results.
- JWST ETC Saturation: Information on the types of saturation and full-well depths used in the ETC.
- JWST ETC Residual Flat Field Errors: Description of the effects of flat field errors in the ETC and mitigation techniques.
- JWST ETC Time-Series Modes: General and instrument-specific advice for using time-series modes in the ETC.