Policy 1 - Limitations on the Use of Funds for the Research of General Observers and Archival Research
Funding allocated to the Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) by NASA for support of the research of General Observers (GO) and Archival Researchers (AR) is intended to be used for the acquisition, calibration, analysis, and publication of JWST data. Funding for preparatory observations (e.g., ground-based) must be justified within this intention. Funding of observational research by GOs or ARs with other facilities (ground- or space-based) that is considered essential for the preparation for JWST observations must receive specific approval by the STScI’s Financial Review Committee.
It is anticipated that many JWST programs will demand ground-based follow-up observations. Support for such research is largely within the charter of the National Science Foundation (NSF). However, a small amount of funding may be requested by General Observers or Archival Researchers who determine the necessity of such research. Any such request must be less than 10% of the their total requested funding. The justification for how the ground-based follow-up observations are needed to maximize the scientific value of the JWST observations will be evaluated by the peer review panel.
GOs or ARs at U.S. institutions who are not eligible to seek support through the National Science Foundation may apply for funding to STScI for ground-based follow-up observations as part of their JWST program budget request.
Edward J. Weiler, Associate Administrator, Science Mission Directorate, NASA Headquarters. 1/5/2010
Paul Hertz, Chief Scientist, Science Mission Directorate, NASA Headquarters. 12/30/2009
Jon A. Morse, Director, Astrophysics Division, Science Mission Directorate, NASA Headquarters. 12/7/2009
Eric P. Smith, JWST Program Scientist, Science Mission Directorate, NASA Headquarters. 11/30/2009
In accordance with Contract NAS5-03127, Statement of Work, Section A.4, A.5, the following guidelines are policies promulgated by the NASA Associate Administrator (AA) for the Science Mission Directorate (SMD) with regard to the implementation of the JWST science mission. Any reference to JWST Program or Project refers to the NASA JWST Program or Project unless explicitly noted otherwise.
NASA-SMD Policies and Guidelines for the Operations of JWST at STScI
- • Policy 1 - Limitations on the Use of Funds for the Research of General Observers and Archival Research
- • Policy 2 - Data Rights and Data Dissemination
- • Policy 3 - Data Requests and Facilities
- • Policy 4 - Post-Launch Commissioning of JWST
- • Policy 5 - Clarification of Extensions of Exclusive Access Data to Public Affairs Activities
- • Policy 6 - Distribution of JWST Science Data Obtained from Investigations Other Than Those Selected Through the Peer-review Process
- • Policy 7 - NASA Needs for Support for Other Missions
- • Policy 8 - Definition of Observing Time
- • Policy 9 - Allocation of Guaranteed Observing Time to Scientists Selected Under AO 01-OSS-05 and Through NASA-ESA-CSA Agreements
- • Policy 10 - Redistribution of Guaranteed Observing Time Among Observers
- • Policy 11 - Protection of Science Programs Associated With Guaranteed Time
- • Policy 12 - Education and Public Outreach