Policy 8 - Definition of Observing Time
On JWST, observing time will be defined to represent the total amount of mission-elapsed time, including overheads, required to carry out an observation. As such, it will consist of the time that is spent pointing at a target position, as well as overheads associated with slewing to the target and any idle time necessary to carry out the observation. Where the overheads vary in length because they depend on the specific order in which a series of observations by various observers are carried out, average values for the activity will be used as defined in the Call for Proposals.
There will occasionally be observations that fail or are substantially compromised or incomplete for a variety of reasons. STScI will generally repeat or complete observations, assuming it is technically feasible to do so, in cases where a significant portion of the program has been compromised and the observer could not have reasonably anticipated the problem, or when the cause was not due to incomplete or incorrect information provided by the observer. Hence, GTOs and GOs will be charged only for observations that are considered to be successfully completed. The definition of a successfully completed observation will be considered on a case-by-case basis and will be the responsibility of STScI. This completion policy and its implementation will be the same for GTOs and GOs. Failed observations which are repeated will be allocated zero exclusive access time.
Edward J. Weiler, Associate Administrator, Science Mission Directorate, NASA Headquarters. 1/5/2010
Paul Hertz, Chief Scientist, Science Mission Directorate, NASA Headquarters. 12/30/2009
Jon A. Morse, Director, Astrophysics Division, Science Mission Directorate, NASA Headquarters. 12/7/2009
Eric P. Smith, JWST Program Scientist, Science Mission Directorate, NASA Headquarters. 11/30/2009
In accordance with Contract NAS5-03127, Statement of Work, Section A.4, A.5, the following guidelines are policies promulgated by the NASA Associate Administrator (AA) for the Science Mission Directorate (SMD) with regard to the implementation of the JWST science mission. Any reference to JWST Program or Project refers to the NASA JWST Program or Project unless explicitly noted otherwise.
NASA-SMD Policies and Guidelines for the Operations of JWST at STScI
- • Policy 1 - Limitations on the Use of Funds for the Research of General Observers and Archival Research
- • Policy 2 - Data Rights and Data Dissemination
- • Policy 3 - Data Requests and Facilities
- • Policy 4 - Post-Launch Commissioning of JWST
- • Policy 5 - Clarification of Extensions of Exclusive Access Data to Public Affairs Activities
- • Policy 6 - Distribution of JWST Science Data Obtained from Investigations Other Than Those Selected Through the Peer-review Process
- • Policy 7 - NASA Needs for Support for Other Missions
- • Policy 8 - Definition of Observing Time
- • Policy 9 - Allocation of Guaranteed Observing Time to Scientists Selected Under AO 01-OSS-05 and Through NASA-ESA-CSA Agreements
- • Policy 10 - Redistribution of Guaranteed Observing Time Among Observers
- • Policy 11 - Protection of Science Programs Associated With Guaranteed Time
- • Policy 12 - Education and Public Outreach