Policy 9 - Allocation of Guaranteed Observing Time to Scientists Selected Under AO 01-OSS-05 and Through NASA-ESA-CSA Agreements
The NIRCam PI and interdisciplinary scientists were guaranteed observing time (as defined in Policy 8) on the JWST in the AO 01-OSS-05. The ESA NIRSpec team, European MIRI team and CSA FGS/TF PI were also guaranteed observing time through NASA-ESA-CSA agreements. This time will be utilized in total and by PI during the first thirty months following the commissioning phase. In addition, the following rules are to be applied by STScI when allocating GTO time:
- Cycle 1: the sum total of all GTO time must be less than or equal to 49%, but greater than or equal to 25% of the total available observing time for GTOs and GOs,
- Cycle 2: the sum total of all GTO time must be less than or equal to 33% of the total available observing time for GTOs and GOs,
- Cycle 3: the sum total of all GTO time must be less than or equal to 10% of the total available observing time for GTOs and GOs.
In cases where disputes arise in developing aggregate GTO times in any year that meet the above rules, the responsibility for resolution rests with the STScI Director and the NASA Program Scientist or their designees.
Delayed implementation of instrument modes may affect the ability of GTOs to complete their AO selected science program within the AO defined GTO period. Should such cases arise modest extension of the GTO period is possible in order to permit the program completion.
The following list indicates the amount of time per team:
- NIRCam PI: 900 hours total,
- NIRSpec Team: 900 hours total,
- U.S. MIRI Science Lead: 210 hours,
- U.S. MIRI Science Team members: 240 hours total,
- European MIRI Science Team: 450 hours total,
- FGS/TFI PI : 450 hours total,
- Each Interdisciplinary Scientist (IDS) (total 6): 110 hours each,
- U.S. Telescope Scientist: 210 hours total.
The NIRSpec and European MIRI teams' allocations will be submitted and managed by a designated point of contact, as follows:
- NIRSpec Team: the ESA Project Scientist
- European MIRI Science Team: the European MIRI team lead
Edward J. Weiler, Associate Administrator, Science Mission Directorate, NASA Headquarters.
Jon A. Morse, Director, Astrophysics Division, Science Mission Directorate, NASA Headquarters.
Eric P. Smith, JWST Program Scientist, Science Mission Directorate, NASA Headquarters.
In accordance with Contract NAS5-03127, Statement of Work, Section A.4, A.5, the following guidelines are policies promulgated by the NASA Associate Administrator (AA) for the Science Mission Directorate (SMD) with regard to the implementation of the JWST science mission. Any reference to JWST Program or Project refers to the NASA JWST Program or Project unless explicitly noted otherwise.