NIRSpec APT Templates
A JWST observing program that uses the NIRSpec instrument is designed by using the one of the NIRSpec templates in the Astronomer's Proposal Tool (APT).
Step-by-step in APT
The step-by-step instructions for using the NIRSpec observing templates in the APT are provided in the following articles:
- NIRSpec Multi-Object Spectroscopy APT Template
- NIRSpec IFU Spectroscopy Template APT Guide
- NIRSpec Fixed Slit Spectroscopy APT Template
- NIRSpec Bright Object Time-Series APT Template
Creating an APT observation
To create a new NIRSpec observation, create or choose an Observation Folder* in the tree editor and click Add in the active GUI window. This will add a generic observation to the folder and open an observation form. The observation can be assigned a unique number and a text label (which does not need to be unique). Select NIRSpec from the Instrument drop-down parameter field. This populates the Template drop-down field with the NIRSpec templates; select one of them to continue working on the specifics of the observation.
* Bold italics style indicates words that are also parameters or buttons in software tools (like the APT and ETC). Similarly, a bold style represents menu items and panels.
Information on all available options and restrictions for NIRSpec templates are available in the proposal parameters NIRSpec Templates articles.