NIRISS Imaging APT Template
Instructions for filling out the JWST NIRISS imaging template.
Imaging is one of 4 modes on the Near Infrared Imager and Slitless Spectrograph (NIRISS), offering image capability over the wavelength range from 0.8 to 5.0 μm. This mode is currently supported to be used in parallel when NIRCam imaging is used as the prime science mode. Other prime+parallel combinations involving NIRISS imaging in parallel will be considered for implementation in cycle 2.
Step-by-step APT instructions
The following parameters are generic to all templates, and are not discussed in this article: observation Label, observations Comments, , ETC Wkbk. Calc ID (in the Filters dialog box),Mosaic Properties, and .
- Filters: F090W, F115W, F140M, F150W, F158M, F200W, F277W, F356W, F380M, F430M, F444W, F480M
- Readout Pattern
- NISRAPID: all frames are read and stored. Generally this can be used if the number of frames per integration is small and data volume is not an issue. There is a limit of 30 on the number of groups per ramp in NISRAPID read out, though a limit of 25 is recommended to mitigate the effects of cosmic ray hits.
- NIS: four frames are averaged per group. Used for producing a lower data rate for longer integrations of faint targets.
- Groups/Int: the number of groups during an integration, equal to the number of frames read per integration (for NISRAPID), or the number of frames read out divided by 4 (for NIS).
- Integrations/Exp: the number of integrations during an exposure, where an integration is the time between detector resets.
- ETC Wkbk. Calc ID: the accompanying ETC workbook ID number for the calculation (optional).
The Exposure Time Calculator (ETC) should be used to determine the combination of Groups/Int and Integrations/Exp necessary to achieve the required signal to noise. Individual integrations longer than 1,000 s are discouraged because of the effect of cosmic ray hits on the detector. For long exposures, a suitable number of integrations and a number of groups less than or equal to 25 is suggested.