NIRCam Predicted Performance
JWST NIRCam performance is estimated based on simulations and laboratory measurements. These estimates will improve based on data obtained in flight.
NIRCam performance predictions are available from various articles and webpages:
- NIRCam Point Spread Functions has information on PSFs simulated by WebbPSF;
- NIRCam Detector Performance provides details about read noise, dark current, etc.
- NIRCam Dragon's Breath provides information on how the scattered light from bright sources off the edge of NIRCam field of view impact the observations;
- NIRCam Persistence provides information on how persistency affects NIRCam observations;
- NIRCam Flat Fields provides information on how the effects of pixel-to-pixel sensitivity changes across a given NIRCam detector are corrected using a flat field image;
- NIRCam WFSS Field of View and NIRCam WFSS Background provides additional information on the NIRCam Wide Field Slitless Spectroscopy observing mode;
- JWST Exposure Time Calculator (ETC) provides the most precise signal-to-noise, sensitivity, and saturation estimates.
Articles on each observing mode also contain additional information:
- NIRCam Imaging, for sensitivity and saturation limits
- NIRCam Coronagraphic Imaging, for contrast ratios
- NIRCam Wide Field Slitless Spectroscopy, spectroscopic line sensitivities
- NIRCam Time-Series Imaging, saturation limits
- NIRCam Grism Time Series, saturation limits