JWST Slitless Spectroscopy Roadmap
The example science cases that use the NIRISS WFSS and NIRCam WFSS mode may be found at the links below:
Each step listed below is followed by a list of articles with additional details.
Spectral wavelength coverage for the science case, and spectral overlap in crowded fields are important considerations when choosing filters and grisms for designing WFSS observations. Make sure to read the recommended strategies to see what options are suitable for the specific science case.
The WFSS modes may also be used for coordinated and pure parallel observations. This roadmap only focuses on the use of WFSS for prime observations.
- Choose the instrument (NIRISS, NIRCam, or both) to use for the science case, based on the wavelength coverage.
NIRISS Wide Field Slitless Spectroscopy (0.8 - 2.2 μm)
NIRCam Wide Field Slitless Spectroscopy (2.4 - 5.0 μm)
- Choose the blocking filters that cover the wavelengths of interest.
- Check the the direct image and grism (line and continuum) sensitivities in the WFSS mode(s) and wavelength(s) of interest.
- Choose one or both of the orthogonal grisms. Use of both grisms may be needed to disentangle overlapping spectra in crowded fields as discussed in the recommended strategies articles linked above.
NIRISS GR150 Grisms
- Decide on the dither pattern required to mitigate detector defects, and achieve the required pixel sampling. NIRISS WFSS mode operates at shorter wavelengths where the PSF is undersampled, so dithering is required.
NIRISS WFSS Dithers
NIRCam Wide Field Slitless Spectroscopy Dithers
- Decide whether mosaicking is required to cover the target field for the science program.
- Decide the readout pattern to use.
NIRISS Detector readout patterns
NIRCam Detector readout patterns
- Use the Exposure Time Calculator (ETC) to determine the exposure times for the direct images and for the dispersed images from the grisms.
JWST ETC Imaging Aperture Photometry Strategy
JWST ETC Aperture Spectral Extraction Strategy
- Fill out the Astronomers Proposal Tool (APT) for NIRISS WFSS or NIRCam WFSS.
NIRISS Wide Field Slitless Spectroscopy APT template
NIRCam Wide Field Slitless Spectroscopy APT template
- Define mosaic parameters in APT (if needed by science program).
JWST APT Mosaic Planning
- Follow the instructions for coordinated parallels if attaching parallels to the WFSS prime observations.
JWST APT Coordinated Parallel Observations
Coordinated parallels roadmap