A roadmap to guide users, step-by-step, through the process of designing an observing program using either (or both) of the integral field units (IFU)s on JWST: MIRI Medium Resolution Spectrograph and the NIRSpec IFU.
- Pick one or both of the JWST IFU observing modes based on needed wavelength coverage.
MIRI Medium Resolution Spectroscopy (MRS) (4.9–28.8 μm)
NIRSpec IFU Spectroscopy (0.6–5.3 μm)
- Pick wavelength setting(s).
MIRI MRS: Select SHORT, MEDIUM, or LONG channel, or some combination thereof
NIRSpec IFU: Select dispersers and filters, depending on needed wavelength coverage and resolving power
- For MIRI MRS, determine whether you should choose simultaneous imaging with the MIRI Imager.
MIRI MRS Simultaneous Imaging
- Decide if you need to do a mosaic.
JWST Mosaic Overview
MIRI MRS Mosaics
- Pick a dither pattern.
MIRI MRS Dithering, MIRI MRS Recommended Strategies
NIRSpec IFU Dither and Nod Patterns, NIRSpec Bright Spoilers and the IFU Recommended Strategies
- Determine whether you need a dedicated background observation.
MIRI MRS Dedicated Sky Observations
NIRSpec Background Recommended Strategies
- For NIRSpec IFU: Decide whether you need to obtain leakcal observations to mitigate the effects of light that leaks through the NIRSpec Micro-Shutter Assembly (MSA) shutters
NIRSpec MSA Leakage Correction for IFU Observations, NIRSpec MSA Leakage Subtraction Recommended Strategies
- Decide if you should do a Target Acquisition (TA)
MIRI MRS Target Acquisition
NIRSpec Target Acquisition, NIRSpec Target Acquisition Recommended Strategies
- Calculate the required exposure time and detector readout parameters using the Exposure Time Calculator (ETC).
JWST ETC IFU Nod in Scene and IFU Nod off Scene Strategy
JWST ETC MIRI Target Acquisition
JWST ETC NIRSpec Target Acquisition
- Fill out the Astronomer's Proposal Tool (APT) for your observation
MIRI MRS APT Template
NIRSpec IFU Spectroscopy APT Template
Go to the General Proposal Planning Workflow to complete the steps for proposal submission.