Main article: JWST Imaging
Each step listed below is followed by a list of articles with additional details.
- Choose the instrument(s) suitable for your science based on needed wavelength coverage. NIRISS imaging may be obtained in parallel with NIRCam, offering sensitivity and wavelengths similar to NIRCam and extending the spatial coverage to a nearby area.
NIRCam Imaging (0.6–5.0 μm), NIRCam Imaging Recommended Strategies
MIRI Imaging (5.6–25.5 μm), MIRI Imaging Recommended Strategies
(NIRISS Imaging (0.8–5.0 μm), NIRISS Imaging Recommended Strategies)
Decide on whether you will observe with multiple instruments simultaneously.
Coordinated Parallel Observations
Consider using the quick-look JWST Interactive Sensitivity Tool (JIST) to obtain a sense of the signal-to-noise and exposure time parameter space you may require for your target(s).
Work through the steps below for the primary imaging instrument before adding the coordinated parallel observations, which may be imaging or some other allowed mode.
For each instrument you will use for standard imaging, proceed through the steps below.
- Check the feasibility of your observations to achieve your science goals.
NIRCam Imaging Sensitivity
(NIRISS Imaging Sensitivity)
- Select your wavelength coverage and filters.
MIRI Filters and Dispersers
- Consider the areal coverage needed and whether mosaicking of the instrument field of view will be needed.
MIRI Imaging Mosaics
APT Simple Mosaic Example
Use the Aladin viewer in APT to view instrument fields of view on sky images.
- Based on the brightness of your target, determine whether a subarray is needed to avoid saturation. (Subarrays are not offered for the NIRISS imaging mode.)
NIRCam Bright Source Limits, NIRCam Detector Subarrays
MIRI Bright Source Limits, MIRI Detector Subarrays
Select a dithering strategy.NIRCam Dithers and Mosaics
If proposing coordinated parallel observations, consider:
JWST Coordinated Parallels Custom Dithers
For selected instrument(s), calculate the required exposure times using the JWST Exposure Time Calculator (ETC).JWST ETC Imaging Aperture Photometry Strategy
- Fill out the Astronomers Proposal Tool (APT) for your observations.
NIRCam Imaging APT Template
MIRI Imaging APT Template
(NIRISS Imaging APT Template)
- If adding coordinated parallel observations, now is the time to do that. See the separate Roadmap for coordinated parallels.
Go to the Getting Started with JWST Proposing to complete the steps for proposal submission.