JWST Call for Proposals for Cycle 2
STScI solicits proposals for JWST Observing, Archival, and Theoretical Research. Downloadable PDF collections of these articles are provided as a courtesy, made available and updated when feasible. The online documentation is the authority, and will be updated with the latest information.
Late breaking news
November 29, 2022
- We have changed the requirements for Survey programs. Individual visits are generally expected to have a total duration of less than 90-100 minutes, including the science integration time and all associated overheads. Longer visits are possible but may be more difficult to schedule. See Survey Programs for more information.
We invite scientists to participate in Cycle 2 of the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST). The telescope and its instruments were built under the auspices of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), the European Space Agency (ESA), and the Canadian Space Agency (CSA). Management of JWST's scientific program is carried out by the Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI). We anticipate allocating up to 5,000 hours in this cycle, including 2,900 hours for Small programs (≤ 25 hours), 1,250 for Medium programs (> 25 and ≤ 75 hours), and 850 for Large programs (> 75 hours). Abstracts of previously accepted programs can be found on the JWST proposal catalogs webpage.
This document establishes the goals, requirements, and policies for General Observer (GO) and Archival Research (AR) programs in Cycle 2. The table of contents for the web version of this document is on the left side of the page, and links there can take you to any page from any other page (click the arrow to expand the entire table of contents under "JWST Call for Proposals for Cycle 2"). The links at the top of each page correspond to sections within that given page.
Proposing calendar and deadlines
Cycle 2 dates: July 1, 2023 – June 30, 2024
Cycle 2 proposal deadline: January 27, 2023 by 8:00pm US Eastern Standard Time
Cycle 2 Peer Review meeting: April 17 - 27, 2023
Cycle 2 Budget submission deadline: June 29, 2023 by 5:00pm US Eastern Daylight Time
Notification of the outcome of the selection process will be sent to all proposers by Mid-May 2023.
Where to get help
- Read this Call for Proposals.
- Visit the STScI JWST Proposal Checklist
- Visit STScI’s website at http://www.stsci.edu/
- Register (or review/check) a STScI Single Sign-On (SSO) Account.
- Contact the STScI JWST Help Desk. We encourage use of the new website where you can submit questions directly to the appropriate team of experts.
The JWST Call for Proposals and related materials for Cycle 2 were edited by Christine Chen. The Associate Director for Science, Neill Reid, and the Science Mission Office at STScI are responsible for the oversight of the JWST science program selection process, whose members include Alessandra Aloisi (Head of Science Mission Office), Christine Chen (Head of James Webb Space Telescope Science Policies Group), Katey Alatalo, Andrew Fruchter, Claus Leitherer, Amaya Moro-Martin, Molly Peeples, Jamila Pegues, Elena Sabbi, Linda Smith, Laura Watkins, and Technical Manager Brett Blacker.