- Optics and focal plane: the imager (MIRIM) and medium resolution spectrometer (MRS) are fed from a single pick-off mirror (POM).
- Filters: 10 filters for imaging, 4 filter-diaphragm combinations for coronagraphy, one neutral density filter, one ZnS-Ge double prism for the LRS mode, one opaque position for darks, and one for a lens used during ground tests.
- Coronagraph masks: one occulter based on the classic Lyot design and 3 occulters that incorporate 4-quadrant phase masks (4QPMs).
- Spectroscopic elements: double prism for the low resolution spectrometer and 2 dichroic filter combination wheels for the medium resolution spectrometer.
- Detectors: 3 impurity band conduction (Si:As IBC) devices.
- Integral field units (IFUs): 4 IFUs for the medium resolution spectrometer.
JWST User Documentation Home
Mid-Infrared Instrument, MIRI
MIRI Coronagraphic Imaging
MIRI Coronagraph Masks
MIRI Detector Overview
MIRI Filters and Dispersers
MIRI Low Resolution Spectroscopy
MIRI Medium Resolution Spectroscopy
MIRI Observing Modes
MIRI Optics and Focal Plane
MIRI Spectroscopic Elements